skip to main content
Page Wrapper
Search: Keyword:

  Mission Statement  

The mission of the Glasgow Elementary School community is to set our students on the path to college graduation
and equip them with the necessary skills for success.

  About The School  

Historic Overview

The Early Years

The School District of Riverview Gardens was established in 1926. Prior to that time, the district was known as Science Hill School District No. 7. That same year, a new Science Hill school was built next to the existing facility at 805 Chambers Road. The new building was used as an elementary school. That building is now the central portion of East Middle School. The first high school opened in 1927 in the old Science Hill School. By 1931, it was classified as a first-class high school. A library, home economics wing and gymnasium were added by 1939.

Moline School, originally an independent elementary school, was annexed into the district in 1949. This annexation established the district's current boundary lines.
Student at Computer
Years Of Growth

Gibson, Glasgow, Meadows, Danforth, Lemasters, Thomas and Highland elementary schools were built in the 1950s, in that order. A new high school also opened and the former high school became East Junior High School. The Board of Education Building and the District Transportation Building also were built during this period. The early 1960s saw the completion of Central Junior High School (now Central Middle School) and an addition to the High School complex.

Lewis & Clark and Valley Winds (now Koch) elementary schools also were constructed. Classroom additions were completed in 1967 at East Middle School and Central Middle School. Later, Lewis & Clark and Koch had building alterations, which gave each school an indoor multipurpose area.

The High School also added a second gymnasium. In the 1970s, 19 classrooms were added to the three existing classroom buildings at the High School. The grounds were graded to expand the softball, baseball and physical education areas and 10 tennis courts were constructed. A track was added at Central Middle School and improvements were made to East Middle School's library and boys' locker room. A new performing arts center was completed on the grounds of the High School during the 1989-90 school year.
 

Recent Developments

Seven years ago, our schools were in desperate need of improvement. The district's enrollment was growing at a rapid pace and overcrowding was becoming a serious issue. Our schools' aging infrastructure was also of great concern.

To address these issues, the district formed a broad-based citizens' committee to examine district enrollment patterns and facility needs. After several months of research and debate, the committee came up with an ambitious 10-year, four-phase improvement plan.

Phases I & II
The first two phases of the plan were funded by bond issues passed in 1996 and 1998. They allowed the district to:

  • improve and expand the eight existing elementary schools;
  • build Moline Elementary School;
  • build new libraries and computer labs at each elementary school;
  • upgrade the high school athletic facilities (new sod and irrigation system on the football field, new aluminum bleachers, and new all-weather track);
  • repair and replace heating systems, windows and roofs;
  • build two new full-service kitchens; resurface parking lots; purchase a cost-effective maintenance warehouse facility; and
  • address important safety issues, such as asbestos abatement and Americans with Disabilities Act upgrades.

All of this work was completed on time and on budget.

Phase III
In April 2002, voters approved an $8.5 million, no-tax-increase bond issue to fund the third phase of the plan. This allowed the district to purchase a 17-acre tract of land between Lucas & Hunt and Nemnich roads in preparation for the construction of a new middle school (see below), and install air conditioning systems at the High School and Central Middle School.

Phase IV
In April 2003, voters approved a $13.9 million, no-tax-increase bond issue to fund the fourth phase of the improvement plan, which calls for the construction of a new middle school to replace the outdated East Middle School facility.

East Middle's age and size make it inadequate for the district's growing middle school population.

East Middle, which opened more than 75 years ago, has a maximum capacity of 500 students. But projections show that by the fall of 2004, the district will need a facility that can accommodate 800 students. In addition, there is no room on the property for expansion, and renovations would not be cost-effective because of the school's advanced age and its deteriorating infrastructure.